SORTING BY COLUNM ENTRY

  1. #1
    75gator
    Guest

    SORTING BY COLUNM ENTRY

    I want to SORT a worksheet by a column that is formatted as a date. I keep
    getting the following message whenver i try, "This operation requires the
    merged cells to be identically sized".

    So i copied all the cells into a new worksheet that had all cells in default
    sixe format. Result was the same.

    What am I doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: SORTING BY COLUNM ENTRY

    This operation should be pretty straight forward. Excel should handle it easily.
    What do you have highlighted before you click on Data>Sort...? What do you enter
    for Key1, 2 and 3?

    Fred

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Melissa
    Guest

    RE: SORTING BY COLUNM ENTRY

    What the error message means is that you have merged some cells in your table
    and therefore, sorting can be done. You must unmerge those cells before
    continuing.

  4. #4
    Melissa
    Guest

    RE: SORTING BY COLUNM ENTRY

    Sorry, I meant sorting CANNOT be done if cells are merged.

  5. #5
    75gator
    Guest

    Re: SORTING BY COLUNM ENTRY

    The ws is a list of ralle ticket books, who signed them out, when they were
    returned and how many were sold. I want to SORT on the column "when they were
    returned" or COLUMN E in my sheet. I selected the entire PRINT AREA which is
    cells 1 thru 1002 and columns A thru M (this includes the headers) . Key 1 is
    COL E or Date Returned" in MM/DD/YY format.

  6. #6
    75gator
    Guest

    RE: SORTING BY COLUNM ENTRY

    How do I determine what has been merged and then unmerge it?

  7. #7
    Melissa
    Guest

    RE: SORTING BY COLUNM ENTRY

    I'm sure there must be a better, more sophisticated, way to find out but I
    use the Find function:
    Press Ctrl + "F" to open the Find box. Click "Format" button and select
    "Alignment" tab. Check "Merge Cells".
    This allows you to find all the merge cells one by one.
    Alternatively, if you're sure you don't want any merged cells, you can
    select your whole worksheet, go to Format> Cells> Alignment tab and uncheck
    the "Merge Cells" box. You should then get a message asking if you're sure
    you want to unmerge your cells...

    Hope this helps.

  8. #8
    Max
    Guest

    Re: SORTING BY COLUNM ENTRY

    "75gator" wrote
    > ... How do I determine what has been merged
    > and then unmerge it?

    Think the easiest way is to get rid of all the merge cells in the sheet. If
    this is not a problem (the "total removal of all merge cells" part), then
    you could try this on a spare copy:

    Press CTRL + A to select entire sheet
    Click Format > Cells > Alignment tab
    Click to *clear* the "Merge cells" checkbox
    (may have to click a few times)
    Click OK

    And .. guess you could also try reinstating the merge via an entire sheet
    copy > paste special > formats (copy from your original sheet, paste the
    format into the spare sheet)

    But think it's better not to use merge cells ..
    If you need to "center" col headers, try instead:
    Format > Cells > Alignment tab
    Under Text alignment:
    select "Centre Across Selection" > OK

    You'd get the same visual effect
    (w/o the "downstream" pains associated with merged cells)

    To find merged cells wherever they may be, try this previous post by Dave
    Peterson in .misc: http://tinyurl.com/83emz
    --
    Rgds
    Max