Calculating number of days between two dates that fall between two other dates

  1. #1

    Calculating number of days between two dates that fall between two other dates

    Hi,

    I would like to know how i can calculate the number of days between two

    dates that fall between another two dates (ie callender quarters)

    Eg

    Q1 1/1/2005 - 31/3/2005 (these dates can be variables, Q1,Q2.. etc)

    1/1/2005 - 31/12/2005 What number of days between these two dates would

    fall between the dates above?

    Can anyone help please

    Cheers!!!

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Calculating number of days between two dates that fall between two

    If A1 has the start date and B1 has the later date then =B1-A1 will yield the
    number of days if formatted as General.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Calculating number of days between two dates that fall betweentwo other dates

    Hi Richard

    One way
    =MIN(DATE(2005,3,31),DATE(2005,12,31))-DATE(2005,1,1)

    or with your Start date in A1, End Date in A2 and your Quarter End Date in B1

    =MIN(A2,B1)-A1

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  4. #4
    TP
    Guest

    Re: Calculating number of days between two dates that fall between two other dates

    Roger,

    I cant get either of the above to work. I am trying to calculate the
    number of days in one range that fall in another range. It is for the
    purposes of insurance, there are several policies that start at
    different time throughout the year, but for accounting purposes the
    quarters remain rigid to the cal. year.

    so how do i calcualate how many days fall in q1 of2 006 from a policy
    that say incepts on the 1/6/05 and expires on 31/05/2006

    Thanks for all your help

  5. #5
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Calculating number of days between two dates that fall betweentwo other dates

    Hi

    Then try this
    In cells B1:J1 enter 01/01/05, 31/03/05, 30/06/05, etc. through to 31/12/06
    In cell A2 enter your start date 01/06/05
    In cell A3 enter your end date 31/05/06

    In cell C3 enter the following
    =(MIN(C$1,$A$3)-B$1)*--($A$2<=B$1)*--($A$3>=B$1)+(C$1-$A$2)*--($A$2<C$1)*($A$2>B$1)
    Copy across through D3:J3
    This will then show the number of days falling in each Quarter
    If you want, you can enter the following in cell B3 to give the total duration
    =SUM(C3:J3)

    Clearly you can extend the range of quarters on for further years, or
    following the same principle you could put your start and end dates on the
    same line by inserting a new column B and putting the end date into B2. Just
    change all references from $A$3 to $B$2.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  6. #6
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    Re: Calculating number of days between two dates that fall between

    Another approach to consider is to take the MAX of the start date and the
    quarter start date and subtract that from the MIN of the end date and the
    quarter end date.
    --
    Gary''s Student