IF(COUNTIF(Thursday,"John Doe")>1,"error"," ")

  1. #1

    IF(COUNTIF(Thursday,"John Doe")>1,"error"," ")

    I am trying to count the number of times an employee's name appears in Thursday's employee schedule to make sure an employee was not actually scheduled twice in the same day. IF(COUNTIF(Thursday,"John Doe")>1,"error"," ")

    My formula works fine if I am looking up just last names but when I use a first and last name due to multiple employees with the same last name(ie John Doe, Allen Doe, Rick Doe) my formula does not show an error if an employee is working twice in the same day.

    Any help would be appreciated

  2. #2

    added thoughts

    I am allowing for information before and after the employee's name.
    6am John Doe
    Rick Doe 9a-9p

    IF(COUNTIF(Thursday,"*"&"John Doe"&"*")>1,"error"," ")

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: IF(COUNTIF(Thursday,"John Doe")>1,"error"," ")

    Hi

    Your formula works fine for me. I get the error for any duplicate occurrence
    of John Doe with or without any prefix or suffix.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  4. #4

    I need to learn how to spell

    I think I have been sitting in front of the computer for too long. I had a Ted Myers and a Rick Meyers. I was typing Rick Meyers as Rick Myers.

    Thanks for the help!