Sumif outputs values

  1. #1
    chrisc
    Guest

    Sumif outputs values

    Is there any way to do the same as SUMIF that will output the text of a cell?
    (SUMIF only outputs values)
    Basically two spreadsheets each with a similar list of names in one column
    and in the second column some info. the two sheets need to be merged into one
    with both sets of info next to the list of names.
    (Of course some of the names in each do not match as sheets were set up by
    different people at different times etc etc) about 80% will match though)
    many Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: Sumif outputs values

    Take a look at VLOOKUP(), which will return text; another alternative
    is to nest a MATCH() function inside an INDEX() function but this
    option is less intuitive.

    There are many posts in this forum that deal with "comparing two
    spreadsheets", so you should have a wide and deep body of suggestions
    to work with.

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Sumif outputs values

    SUMIF is all about conditionally ADDing, and I'm not sure what that means if
    you've got text rather than numbers. Is VLOOKUP what you're looking for?
    That's used to extract info from a table based on a key (in your case, the
    name). So if your lookup value is the name in list1, next to that you'd put
    a vlookup referencing that row's name as the key value and list2 as the
    table_array.

  4. #4
    chrisc
    Guest