Cannot open excel files

  1. #1

    Cannot open excel files

    Hi,

    When I try to open any excel document by double clicking on it the following error is coming up. "Cannot find the file [file name] (or one of its components). Make sure the path and the filename are correct and that all required libraries are available. However if you first open excel and then go File >> Open >> and select the file from there the file would open without any problems.

    I have re-installed office but this didn't solve the problem.

    Can you please advise?

    Thanks and Regards
    Gordon Buhagiar

  2. #2
    Do you install any add-ins in your Excel? If so, open the file in the way you can open it then try remove all the add-in and close Excel. If you can open after the fiel after that, you can re-installs the add-ins.

    Sorry if my English not good.

  3. #3

    Cannot open excel files

    Hi,

    I have no add-ins in my excel.

    Thanks and Regards
    Gordon

  4. #4

    Re: Cannot open excel files

    Sometimes one of these works:

    Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

    --- or ---

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

  5. #5

    Cannot open excel files

    Hi Dave,

    Thanks for your reply. That solved the problem.

    Hi Hideki,

    Thanks for your reply just the same.

    Thanks and Regards
    Gordon Buhagiar