How to change double arrow to single arrow (older version)

  1. #1
    Ellen Hall
    Guest

    How to change double arrow to single arrow (older version)

    Hello,

    For many versions of Excel, when you clicked in any cell, then move your
    mouse pointer over any border of the cell until the mouse pointer changes to
    an arrow, you could right click and drag to its destination and then
    release. I now use Office XP, and instead of the single arrow I'm familiar
    with, the mouse pointer changes to a double arrow. It seems to perform the
    exact same functions, just a different image.

    Can anyone tell me how to change the double arrow to the older, familiar
    single arrow?

    Thanks,
    Ellen Hall

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: How to change double arrow to single arrow (older version)

    Hi Ellen,
    Don't know about the double arrow, but you sound like
    you are describing the SHIFT + Drag when the pointer
    changes from a cross to an arrow.

    Check your control panel, mouse, pointers(tab), scheme: none
    (I have Excel 2000 so maybe it is really is different,)
    but compare what you see with what I see in Excel 2000
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/icons/pointers.jpg

    More information on use of mouse at
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm#mouse

    ---
    HTH,

  3. #3
    Ellen Hall
    Guest

    Re: How to change double arrow to single arrow (older version)

    Thanks, David. I agree that I am describing the act of dragging when the
    cross changes to an arrow. Only this adds the "MOVE" icon to the arrow. We
    have the same list of pointers in the Control Panel. I actually have Excel
    2002.

    The normal pointer is a white cross. When I double-click it on a cell
    border, or double-click inside a cell and move the pointer to one of the
    cell's borders, it changes to a white arrow pointing to the center of what
    I've been calling the "double arrow" shape (it's really 2 double arrows).
    So the arrow that I originally wanted to obtain is actually there, but it's
    attached to the "MOVE" pointer, which seems to be lining up with the border.
    Looking at it again, what I'm hoping to do is make the "MOVE" pointer go
    away, and just move with the white arrow.

    Poking around in Control Panel/Mouse I found all the cursor options. I'm
    experimenting with them now. Maybe I'll find a solution that entertains me.

    Thanks for responding.
    Ellen Hall

    news:[email protected]...