Intersection point in graphs

  1. #1
    rk0909
    Guest

    Intersection point in graphs

    All,
    I have 2 sets of data. One set is directly proportional to the data on
    x-axis and the other is is inversely proportional. I want to find out at
    which point on the x-axis do the 2 data sets intersect. I can see it
    graphically but I need some kind of a formula to spit out that intersection
    point.
    Any help, suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    R.K.

  2. #2
    Forum Guru
    North America
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    Posts
    15,826
    General answer:

    If we have two functions y1=f(x) and y2=g(x), we find the point(s) of intersection by setting y1=y2 [f(x)=g(x)]and solving for x.

    Specific case:

    directly proportional function y1=f(x)=ax
    indirectly proportional funciton y2=g(x)=b/x
    set them equal ax=b/x -> x^2=b/a -> x=+/- sqrt(b/a)

    I leave it to you to decide if you want the positive root or the negative root, or if I have correctly/incorrectly interpreted the form of your functions.

  3. #3
    rk0909
    Guest

    Re: Intersection point in graphs

    Thanks Mr. Shorty. Problem I am facing is that thought the relationships are
    directly and inversely proportional but they are not perfect linear
    equations. In that case how do I solve for intersection point. Is there a
    code or formulae?
    Thanks again for your help.
    RK

  4. #4
    Forum Guru
    North America
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    Posts
    15,826
    In many cases, it is difficult or impossible to find an algebraic solution like I suggested above. Back to the general case:

    Set spreadsheet up so you have a cell calculating f(x)-g(x) at some x that is reasonable. Then you can use Goal Seek or Solver (Goal Seek is easier to use, but Solver is more robust) to numerically find the value of x that yields f(x)-g(x)=0. There are hazards associated with such a numerical solution (may converge to the wrong solution or may not converge at all), but this approach is general enough to work in many cases.

  5. #5
    I believe rk0909 does not has f(x) or g(x)
    only has two series of X-Y values
    It's possible to build up two equaltion,that just exactly fit into Excel's bezier curve for both series
    and solve them
    however it's complex,and not worth to do it if you want to do this intersection-find job only few times
    Last edited by Pan; 10-28-2005 at 11:56 PM.