What controls choosing online v. offline Help?

  1. #1

    What controls choosing online v. offline Help?

    What determines whether Help goes to online or
    only offline resources?

    I used to think that Help > Microsoft Excel Help
    always went to online resource whereas the Office
    Assistant used only offline resources, at least
    for simple queries like help with a function.

    But recently, I got into a situation where the
    Office Assistant was always showing results from
    online resources. There was a pull-down menu that
    permitted me to redo the search using only offline
    resources.

    Now I am in the situation where both the Office
    Assistant and Help > Microsoft Excel Help use only
    offline resources.

    I would like to limit the help operation to
    offline resources, but I would like the option of
    using online resources when I want to.

    FYI, I am always online -- i.e, connected to cable
    internet. I am not aware of anything I might have
    done to change the Excel configuration between the
    two situations.

  2. #2
    Mladen_Dj
    Guest

    Re: What controls choosing online v. offline Help?

    You can modify this in help menu on task pane under "online content
    settings", you must restart excel to change take effect.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Mladen_Dj wrote:
    > You can modify this in help menu on task pane under
    > "online content settings", you must restart excel
    > to change take effect.

    Aha! Thanks.

    That probably explains what happened, too. I suspect
    I did play with the "online content settings", and I
    simply forgot that I had. Klunk!