=COUNTIF(A:A,isnumber) cant work

  1. #1
    crapit
    Guest

    =COUNTIF(A:A,isnumber) cant work

    Hi, I want to count the number of cells at col. A that contain number only,
    but it didnt work
    =COUNTIF(A:A,isnumber)

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: =COUNTIF(A:A,isnumber) cant work

    =COUNT(A:A)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: =COUNTIF(A:A,isnumber) cant work

    =COUNT(A1:A10) will count only the numeric values in A1:A10.
    =COUNTA(A1:A10) will count all values in A1:A10.
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

  4. #4
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: =COUNTIF(A:A,isnumber) cant work

    Don't use this but it works
    =COUNT(IF(ISNUMBER(A:A),A:A))

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: =COUNTIF(A:A,isnumber) cant work

    I feel I knew the answer to this at one time, but ... why does your formula,
    in a brand new empty sheet, with a virgin Column A, return a value of 1?

    You enter a number into A, and it still returns 1.
    You enter another number, and it returns 2.
    Delete them both, and we're back to 1.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: =COUNTIF(A:A,isnumber) cant work

    Because if no numbers are entered the formula returns

    =COUNT(FALSE)

    and since FALSE equals zero it counts

    =COUNT(0)

    which is 1

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:Ot%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: =COUNTIF(A:A,isnumber) cant work

    I was wrong!

    I never knew that answer before.

    Thanks Peo.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

    -
    > > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

    !

    -

  8. #8
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: =COUNTIF(A:A,isnumber) cant work

    I'm glad Peo answered cuz I didn't know either.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eSK7%[email protected]...
    > I was wrong!
    >
    > I never knew that answer before.
    >
    > Thanks Peo.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  9. #9
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: =COUNTIF(A:A,isnumber) cant work

    "Don Guillett" <[email protected]> wrote...
    >I'm glad Peo answered cuz I didn't know either.

    Though you gotta wonder why COUNT can convert TRUE/FALSE to 1/0 but
    SUMPRODUCT can't.