cannot find c:\documents and settings

  1. #1
    Old Bob
    Guest

    cannot find c:\documents and settings

    I have a friend that suddenly when she tries to open excel or any office
    program it does not open and she gets the following message: Microsoft XP
    Professional Front Page Path c:\documents and settings cannot be found. Any
    suggestions?

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: cannot find c:\documents and settings

    Is it true? If the folder does not exist, then the recovery steps are
    different than if the folder exists and Office just can't find it.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    Old Bob
    Guest

    RE: cannot find c:\documents and settings

    She was not trying to recover anything, just open excel--how do we correct it?

  4. #4
    Old Bob
    Guest

    RE: cannot find c:\documents and settings

    I think I understand your comment now..You were asking me if there is indeed
    such a "folder" under c: named documents and settings? I will check.

  5. #5
    Rustynail
    Guest

    Re: cannot find c:\documents and settings

    I also have this problem. Waiting for your reply.

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Old Bob working
    Guest

    Re: cannot find c:\documents and settings

    Gary, There IS a documents and settings folder..She tried to do a print
    screen of explore and was able to open word but when trying to paste she got
    the following "Word cannot obtain data for the c:\documents and settings
    etc. Is this what you were after.

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: cannot find c:\documents and settings

    Bob

    Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

    Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
    Exit Excel and try again

    If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

    Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

    1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    See the space between exe and /regserver

    You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
    In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP