Need Help Initializing Excel Spreadsheet Program

  1. #1

    Need Help Initializing Excel Spreadsheet Program

    Hi,

    I'm using Excel 2000 which is running on Windows ME. When I open the menu spreadsheet of a workbook with macros, I keep getting the following error:

    Run-Time Error .... The Program is not initialized. An administrator must initialize the program by starting it once.

    I had no trouble installing the new Excel Add-In program. I am using a personal laptop computer. I tried running the program in safe mode to see if I could get around the error, but that didn't work.

    I'm not sure what the error message means. Or how to correct it. I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

  2. #2

    Re: Need Help Initializing Excel Spreadsheet Program

    But if you don't try to load this addin, then excel behaves nice and normal?

    If that's true, then I think you'll want to find an admin or the author of that
    addin and ask what's going on?

    Or you could post the name of the addin (and source URL if you got it off the
    internet). Maybe someone has used it and can help.

  3. #3

    Thanks for you reply

    Hi Dave,

    Thanks for the reply. I did call the technical support group for it. They insist that all I need to do is to log onto my computer as the administrator and run the add-in once and then all be fine. The problem is that it's my personal laptop and I am the only user set up to run on it so I don't think this can be the problem.

    I can add or delete any program. I can change the security settings, etc. of any other program but this one. So it seems to me that there must be something hardwired into the coding that's causing the probem.

    The only difference between this add-in and all my other add-ins (they all work fine) is that it required me to download and install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1.

    The add-in is a specialized finance add-in that came on a CD-Rom in a finance book.

    Could the runtime error be caused by something in the Microsoft.NET Framework?

    Thanks for your help!

    P.S. - Is there a way to tell for sure whether I am logged in as the administrator when my computer boots up? I'm running Windows ME.

  4. #4

    Re: Need Help Initializing Excel Spreadsheet Program

    I don't use Windows ME, but in WinXP (home), I can go to the control panel, then
    User Accounts and check/change stuff there.

    You may want to ask in a Windows Newsgroup if no one else jumps in.

    Sorry, I can't help.