Adding a digit

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Adding a digit

    I have a long list of product codes e.g. 230956743, 485048675. But i want to put a zero in front of each one e.g. 0230956743, 0485048675. Is there a quick way of doing this.

    Obviously the column will have to be formatted as text because otherwise the zero would dissapear.

    Chris

  2. #2
    Does building your own format is not the expected solution?

    How about write something like this in the user defined format:
    00000000# (depend how many digit you want). It will give you zero if nothing in front the first no. If you only wanted one zero, put 0##### (to the number you want).

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Adding a digit

    see response in .Excel

    Format>Cells>Number>Custom> 0000000000
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  4. #4
    Jim May
    Guest

    Re: Adding a digit

    "otherwise the zero would dissapear."
    by this I take it that your codes are numbers, at present.
    You can leave them as numbers, and just Format, Cells,
    Custom, (In Box enter) 0000000000

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Another option is to concatenate your zero with the cell entry. In a helper column inserted next to your column of numbers, enter this:

    ="0"&A1 (where A1 is the first cell in your column of numbers-adjust as needed. This will return a text entry that begins with zero)

    Copy this down as far as needed. You can then copy this entire new row and paste Special>values over top of the original data and delete the inserted (helper) column.

    Good Luck.
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA