Numbers change to dates automatically

  1. #1
    Aa
    Guest

    Numbers change to dates automatically

    I have dot as a default date separator in regional settings (comma is a
    default decimal separator). Now, if i type in a cell e.g. 2.5 it becomes a
    date. Is there a way to prevent this change to date? I don't want to change
    reginal settings.

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Numbers change to dates automatically

    Type 2,5 instead of 2.5

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Aa
    Guest

    Re: Numbers change to dates automatically

    How about when you really want to have 2.5, not 2,5. Or if you want to
    prevent people from typing in other than integers. You can use validate to
    force to use integer, but Excel seems to understand dates as integers, so
    validateion accepts it. We have both cases, among others (I work at help
    desk).

  4. #4

    Re: Numbers change to dates automatically

    Try formatting the cell as Text first
    or
    precede your entry with an apostrophe: '2.5

    Do you use a dot for the thousands separator?

    It sounds like a confusing choice for a date separator to me.