wireless connection needs constant repair

  1. #1
    opxidaea
    Guest

    wireless connection needs constant repair

    This is all new to me so please reply letting me know what other info you
    need so I can get some assistance fixing this. I am running two Dell
    Latitude D610 notebooks with WinXP SP2, with recent updates installed, and
    have ADSL 512, a SpeedTouch 510 gateway with a Netgear 54 Mbps wireless
    router. The wi/fi on the laptops is factory-installed. One laptop connected
    by ethernet to the SpeedTouch has no problem, so I don't think my problem is
    the ADSL line or the SpeedTouch. The other laptop, which has a wireless
    connection, had no problem until I recently relocated it to the other side of
    the office. Now I lose the wireless connection very frequently, every few
    minutes all day, and the only way to get it back is to "repair" it. It just
    disappears and under "available networks" I have nothing. I have read all
    the posts about this problem. I am not using encryption or 802.1x
    authentication. Now that I've relocated the office, the computer actually
    has line of sight to the Netgear and the SpeedTouch, which it did not have
    before. I tried doing a system restore to a month ago -- before the move and
    before the problem began -- and that didn't solve the problem so I'm guessing
    that means the problem is not originating with the computer. I am wondering
    if a cordless phone is the problem; it's in the same room and now only about
    10 feet away; before the move it was about 18 feet away. I'm wondering if a
    telephone/electric pole outside the window might be causing the connection to
    drop. Since the move, I am about 25 feet closer to that pole than
    previously. Also, there is a (not cordless) phone and fax about 15 feet
    away. Other posts about this problem have suggested changing the router
    channel (if a phone is the problem) or updating the router firmware. I've no
    idea how to do either of those things. I set up the wireless myself through
    lots of reading on-line and basically trial and error. Any suggestions you
    can offer will be appreciated. Unfortunately, moving the laptop to its
    previous location is not an option. Thank you!

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: wireless connection needs constant repair

    Does your question have anything to do with Excel? Try posting in
    a Windows newsgroup.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    opxidaea
    Guest

    Re: wireless connection needs constant repair

    Sorry! Was trying to post in Windows/wireless networking and hit wrong button.