Search and Replace: set user preference?

  1. #1

    Search and Replace: set user preference?

    Excel 2003
    I use Find and Replace extensively; after the first use when I open the
    F&R window the "Replace with" box is highlighted. I'd prefer the "Find
    What" box to highlight each time I open the window.

    Will Excel allow me to set that preference somewhere?
    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Re: Search and Replace: set user preference?

    I don't think you can change this behavior--and I wouldn't think that a
    workaround (doing a dummy find that replaces nothing with nothing) would be
    worth it.

  3. #3

    Re: Search and Replace: set user preference?

    Ugh- looks like it's custom button time. Thanks for your response,
    Dave.

  4. #4
    Michael
    Guest

    Re: Search and Replace: set user preference?

    If, before you close the Find box, you switch back to the Find tab from the
    Replace tab, it will be in view when you reopen.
    --
    Sincerely, Michael Colvin

  5. #5

    Re: Search and Replace: set user preference?

    Ugh (I gave you a bum steer about the dummy find/replace.) You could just use a
    macro that shows that dialog:

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme()
    Application.Dialogs(xlDialogFormulaReplace).Show "", ""
    End Sub

    (this is better than that dummy find/replace stuff.)

  6. #6
    Brenda
    Guest

    Re: Search and Replace: set user preference?

    Hi there. I have the same problem; I use the find and replace key (CTRL+H)
    constantly and am very frustrated that in this version of Excel (2003), the
    "find" portion is not highlighted when the box opens. I don't really want to
    write a macro or tab through to the "find" section before closing. Is there
    anyway to load an earlier version of Excel for just this function? I just
    switched versions and what ever version I've been using for the last 7 years,
    did highlight the "find" section first, so it is very hard to break this
    habit (and very annoying that I have remove my hands from the keyboard to use
    the mouse or else tab through several times to get to the "find"). Anyway, I
    guess I am just venting now.... If anybody has any other suggestions, I sure
    would appreciate them. Thanks - Brenda

  7. #7

    Re: Search and Replace: set user preference?

    I don't think there's a way to load parts of one version of excel and parts of
    another version of excel.

    As far as I can tell, your choices are the macro or learning to live with it.

  8. #8
    Dave
    Guest

    Re: Search and Replace: set user preference?

    This is a real pain.

    This is a program bug in Excel 2003..

    In every version of Excel that I've used (before 2003), when you bring up
    the Replace window, the "Find" will be highlighted.

    It is especially frustrating when you do a "Replace All". Next time you
    bring it up, why would you want to have the same entry in the "find" field?
    YOU JUST REPLACED ALL OCCURANCES OF IT!

    Another reason not to upgrade to 2003.

    Microsoft: Any plans to address this bug?

    Dave