How to change the default Border, Font Color, and Cell Color

  1. #1
    Elijah
    Guest

    How to change the default Border, Font Color, and Cell Color

    This make the 3rd and final time I will post this question before giving up.

    Is there a way to change the default Border, Font Color, and Cell
    Background Color in Excel? The drop downs for each of these items on the
    Formatting Bar are defaulted to Underlined, Red, and Yellow respectively.

    You can change them obviously, however when you close Excel and open it
    again they have defaulted back to the above settings.

    Is there a way to change the defaults, either in the registry, user
    profile, or otherwise.

    Any help including a "it is not possible" response, will be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to change the default Border, Font Color, and Cell Color

    I haven't tried this, but have you tried setting them in an empty workbook,
    then saving that workbook as a template named Book.xlt, and save it in the
    XLStart directory?

    RP

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Elijah
    Guest

    Re: How to change the default Border, Font Color, and Cell Color

    Thanks Bob, but no it did not work. It does not appear that these
    settings are saved anywhere in a .xls or .xlt file.

    I have made the changes and saved as an xlt to both the templates, and
    xlstart directories in my profile. I have also made the change to
    personal.xls and saved it, however it does not retain the settings.

    It appears this setting is saved somewhere other than in any given file
    (i.e the registry or somewhere else).

    Thanks again Bob.

    Anyone else have any input as this is still an open question?

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to change the default Border, Font Color, and Cell Color

    Another way would be to force it on workbook opening.