Incrementing letters

  1. #1
    Opinicus
    Guest

    Incrementing letters

    How do you increment letters in Excel? That is, if I have a
    "C" in A1 what formula will give me "D" in A2? I tried the
    CHAR function but it doesn't do what I want.

    --
    Bob

    Kanyak's Doghouse
    http://www.kanyak.com

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Incrementing letters

    Hi!

    With "C" in A1:

    Enter this in A2 and copy down as needed:

    =CHAR(CODE(A1)+1)

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Opinicus
    Guest

    Re: Incrementing letters

    "Biff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > With "C" in A1:
    > Enter this in A2 and copy down as needed:
    > =CHAR(CODE(A1)+1)

    CODE! (Slaps self on forehead.) Thanks!

    --
    Bob

    Kanyak's Doghouse
    http://www.kanyak.com

  4. #4
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Incrementing letters

    You could create a "custom list", so that the alphabet will automatically
    increment, just as the numbers do, and you'll never have to do it again.

    Enter the alphabet in a column, and then select the column.

    Then,
    <Tools> <Options> <CustomLists>

    The "Import List" window should have your selected cells already entered by
    default.

    Now, simply click on <Import>, then <OK>.

    --
    HTH,

    RD