Help with "index" .. I think

  1. #1
    Box666
    Guest

    Help with "index" .. I think

    I am trying to use a formula to lookup a value. The value I want to
    lookup is is the last item in row 16. Which at the moment is G16, but
    in a few days it may well have moved to (say) L16.

    Is Index the best way to try and find this moving target? or does any
    one have a formula to find the last item in specific row .. or the last
    item in a column which perhaps I can change to row.

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Help with "index" .. I think

    One way ...

    Try, array-entered (press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER):
    =INDEX(16:16,1,MAX(IF(ISBLANK(16:16),0,COLUMN(16:16))))

    Above is adapted from Bob Phillips' fine page at:
    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.....html#last_any

    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Help with "index" .. I think

    =LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(16:16)),16:16)

    RP

  4. #4
    Box666
    Guest

    Re: Help with "index" .. I think

    Thank you perfect, is it possible to change it to show the last but one
    value.(I have tried to "play" with the formula but cannot seem to hit
    the right combination).

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Help with "index" .. I think

    =INDEX(16:16,1,MAX(MATCH({"ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ",9.99999999999999E+307},16:1
    6))-1)

    RP

  6. #6
    Box666
    Guest

    Re: Help with "index" .. I think

    A big thank you.. I would never have hit that combination

    Bob

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Help with "index" .. I think

    The problem was that the previous one did it directly, it didn't determine
    the column in the formula. As such, I had to use a different formula, one
    that calculated teh column, then just subtract 1.

    RP