Formula text count

  1. #1

    Formula text count

    I Have a list in a column that has a lot of tank numbers on a ship
    listed as the following:

    1-1-2-V
    1-1-3-V
    1-1-2-F
    1-1-2-F
    1-1-2-J
    1-1-2-F

    In another column, I have a list to identify whether the tank has been
    opened noted with a date if it has and blank if it hasn't. I'm trying
    to count the amount of V tanks that have been opened, J tanks that have
    been opened and so on. I need an if, ifcount, or vlookup formula that
    can do this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Darrell,

    You can probably use a Pivot Table. Have it summarize the data in column A and the column in which the date is entered. Then you can format it so that it hides the blanks and subtotals so all you see is tank # (1-1-2-f. etc..) the date opened and the grand total. Use the Pivot Table wizard and it takes about just a few seconds.

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. #3

    Re: Formula text count

    if you want to count the number of cells with J's or V's in that range, you
    could use:

    =countif(a1:a4,"*J*")

    1-1-2-v
    1-j-j-j
    j-j-j-j
    j-j-j-j

    would return 3 (three cells with at least a single J in them).

    If your data could have multiple J's and you want to count all of them:

    =SUM((LEN(A1:A4)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1:A4,"j","")))/LEN("j"))

    them yourself.)

    Adjust the range to match--but you can't use the whole column.

    Ps. That formula returned 11 with my test data.