changing alphabetical order in excel

  1. #1

    changing alphabetical order in excel

    I need to change the custom sorting order, but not according to categories, which is the only way I've found help on. I use a Maltese font which uses ` / \ etc to represent various characters, and when I sort a-->z I need excel to sort ie :

    a b ` d e f g [ h

    ... etc

    is it possible to change the actual alphabetical order in this way?

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: changing alphabetical order in excel

    I'd suggest creating a helper column with the order that you want and sort
    on that.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: changing alphabetical order in excel

    Hi. Not exactly sure, but see if this will do what you want.
    First, make a column of the way you want your data to sort. (ie a b ` d e f
    g [ h..etc)

    Then, Tools | Options | Custom Lists, and "import" this range.

    Now, select your unsorted column of data, and select:
    Data | Sort..., and select "Options..."

    In the pull-down menu, select your custom sort list.

    HTH. :>)
    --
    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana DeLouis
    Hi. Not exactly sure, but see if this will do what you want.
    First, make a column of the way you want your data to sort. (ie a b ` d e f
    g [ h..etc)

    Then, Tools | Options | Custom Lists, and "import" this range.

    Now, select your unsorted column of data, and select:
    Data | Sort..., and select "Options..."

    In the pull-down menu, select your custom sort list.

    HTH. :>)
    --
    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003
    OK, just tried that and it sorts in the same order as if I hadn't created a custom sort.

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: changing alphabetical order in excel

    Use a helper column. It would be nicer if Excel had a TRANSLATE
    (XLAT) function but take a look at
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm#ebcdic
    if you use that technique you can create your own substitute
    collating sequence with a helper column. That helper column
    will be of use only to sorting and look like gibberish.
    --
    HTH,

  6. #6
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: changing alphabetical order in excel

    cura,

    I don't think a custom list will work for you, since a custom list deals
    with words, but not the characters within the words, which is what you're
    asking for. I think Barb's suggestion may be the only way (except for a
    custom macro that actually does the sorting, instead of Excel's sort). For
    the example you give:

    a b ` d e f g [ h

    The data would have to have to be changed so that it yields c for `. I'm
    not sure where to go from there, because I don't know if the c was left out
    intentionally.

    If I'm right about all this, a macro (a user-defined function you could use
    right in the helper column) would likely be the easiest way. I can't
    imagine a manageable formula. It would probably be straightforward, using a
    list of the characters the way you want the character values ordered, and
    would substitute them.

    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com