Lookups using worksheet names

  1. #1
    Soapydux
    Guest

    Lookups using worksheet names

    Is there anyway of automatically picking up a figure from a specific
    cell on various worksheets buy using the worksheet name?

    I have a spreadsheet that has worksheets with the clients contract
    numbers, e:g each worksheet would be named something like this:
    000/12345678/123

    I also have a spreadsheet with all the above contract numbers listed
    which looks up the clients names and addresses etc. The data on each
    sheet is always in a specific cell on each worksheet for the sake of
    argument cell A1.

    I would like to use the spreadsheet with the contract numbers listed to
    look up cell A1 on each spreadsheet by using the worksheet name (i.e.
    contract number)

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Mladen_Dj
    Guest

    Re: Lookups using worksheet names

    To reference worksheet use formula ='Sheet Name'!A1
    Also, you can't use "/" in worksheet name.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    B. R.Ramachandran
    Guest

    RE: Lookups using worksheet names

    Hi,

    If A12 contains the contract number of a client, and you want B2 pull up the
    contents of A1 of a different worksheet named after that contract number,
    use the following formula in B12.

    = INDIRECT("'"&A12&"'!A1")

    By the way, have you successfully named the worksheets using clients'
    contract numbers in the format you have shown? I think that Excel will not
    accept the "/" character as part of worksheet names. You might have to
    change the contract numbers as (e.g., 000-12345678-123 or something like that.

    Regards,
    B. R. Ramachandran

  4. #4
    Soapydux