Closed Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Excel Hyperlink Base Directory

  1. #1
    Chris Ince
    Guest

    Excel Hyperlink Base Directory

    Hi,

    I am distributing a workbook which has a set of accompanying notes (help
    file) as a Word Document. The Word doc is linked to various cells in the
    worksheet by a series of hyperlinks.

    The problem is that I do not know where end-users will save the worksheet
    and its accompanying files. I can suggest, but every user will have a
    different user name depending upon their organisation etc. eg My
    Documents\user\Log Book (for "user" insert any combination of letters/number!)

    I would like to just force Excel to locate the Word doc in the same
    directory as the active worksheet (as this is where it will be) but to no
    avail so far.

    Am using Macros already, so VBA solution would not be a problem.

    Many thanks,
    Chris

  2. #2
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: Excel Hyperlink Base Directory

    Don't include a path with the filename in the link. Just use the file name.
    Windows will then assume that the path of the destination file is the same as
    the open file.

    HTH,
    Elkar

  3. #3
    Chris Ince
    Guest

    RE: Excel Hyperlink Base Directory

    Yes, thank you, have just figured it out! Have converted them all to use
    HYPERLINK formula rather than "Insert HYperlinks". Works like a dream now.

    Shows the problems of a long day and trying to be too complicated.

    Thanks again
    Chris

    "Elkar" wrote:

    > Don't include a path with the filename in the link. Just use the file name.
    > Windows will then assume that the path of the destination file is the same as
    > the open file.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Elkar
    >
    > "Chris Ince" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am distributing a workbook which has a set of accompanying notes (help
    > > file) as a Word Document. The Word doc is linked to various cells in the
    > > worksheet by a series of hyperlinks.
    > >
    > > The problem is that I do not know where end-users will save the worksheet
    > > and its accompanying files. I can suggest, but every user will have a
    > > different user name depending upon their organisation etc. eg My
    > > Documents\user\Log Book (for "user" insert any combination of letters/number!)
    > >
    > > I would like to just force Excel to locate the Word doc in the same
    > > directory as the active worksheet (as this is where it will be) but to no
    > > avail so far.
    > >
    > > Am using Macros already, so VBA solution would not be a problem.
    > >
    > > Many thanks,
    > > Chris

Closed Thread