How can I display hundreths of seconds?

  1. #1
    Diamond Jones
    Guest

    How can I display hundreths of seconds?

    I'm trying to design a speadsheet to display lap times such as 1:26:329 (1
    min, 26 secs etc) however I cannot sort the data in order from highest to
    lowest. I've been inputing the data as 1.26239. This s OK to sort frm
    Highest to Lowest but when you graph it there is a massiv gap beween 1.59960
    (1.59.960) and 2.00765 (2.00.765) and there shouldn't be. I need Excel to
    recognize hundreths of seconds

    Please help

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: How can I display hundreths of seconds?

    Hi!

    Format the cells as m:ss.000

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gary Smith
    Guest

    Re: How can I display hundreths of seconds?

    The way you're entering the data, you don't have seconds or fractions of
    seconds at all. You have minutes and (decimal) fractions of minutes.
    1.59960, interpreted as minutes, is roughly a minte and 36 seconds.
    2.00765 is roughly two minutes, hence the gap. You need to enter the
    times so they are recognized as times: 1:26.329, for example. Note that
    the first separator is a colon and the second a period (full stop).

    In order to display thousandths (you said hundredths but the examples all
    have thousandths) of seconds, select the relevant cells or columns, then
    click Format > Cells > Number tab | Custom and enter "mm.ss.000"
    (without the quotes) in the Type box.

    Diamond Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'm trying to design a speadsheet to display lap times such as 1:26:329 (1
    > min, 26 secs etc) however I cannot sort the data in order from highest to
    > lowest. I've been inputing the data as 1.26239. This s OK to sort frm
    > Highest to Lowest but when you graph it there is a massiv gap beween 1.59960
    > (1.59.960) and 2.00765 (2.00.765) and there shouldn't be. I need Excel to
    > recognize hundreths of seconds

    > Please help

    Gary L. Smith
    Columbus, Ohio

  4. #4
    Diamond Jones
    Guest

    Re: How can I display hundreths of seconds?

    Thanks so much (thanks to Biff as well). Elementary stuff huh!

    Any way to convert 7.57.989 to 7:57.989 rather than retyping everything?

    Thanks again

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Re: How can I display hundreths of seconds?

    One way if you always had one of these formats: #.00.000 or ##.00.000

    =LEFT(A1,FIND(".",A1)-1)/24/60
    +MID(A1,FIND(".",A1)+1,2)/24/60/60
    +RIGHT(A1,3)/24/60/60/1000

    (all one cell)