A2 cell reference increment

  1. #1

    A2 cell reference increment

    I want to reference a cell using some math:

    $B(1+1) which I would hope equals $B2 and the cell would then contain a reference to $B2.

    How does one perform math funtions to the row part of a reference?

    I what to be able to reference a cell that contains a cell reference

    So Cell A1 would contain the text B12

    cell A2 would reference to cell A1 and show the contents of B12.

    and in cell A3, I want to show the contents of B13... but I want to take the contents of cell A1 and increment it from B12 to B13...

    How do I do that? I tried simple math like $B(1+1) which does not equal $B2.

    Thanks for a newbie question,

    Chris

  2. #2
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: A2 cell reference increment

    You could use the Indirect function. Eg:
    = Indirect(A1)

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  3. #3
    damorrison
    Guest

    Re: A2 cell reference increment

    well I'm confused but I will try to help:
    in A1 type =B12
    if you want to join cells together:
    =B1&B2&B3
    IF YOU WANT TO ADD CELLS TOGETHER:
    =B1+B2+B3
    IF YOU WANY TO ADD TO A REFERENCE CELL
    =B1+1
    IF YOU WANT TO ADD TEXT TO A CELL AND A REFERENCE CELL
    =B1&"HELLO"&B2+1

  4. #4
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: A2 cell reference increment

    Don't quite follow you, but does this info help?

    Cell A1 contains the text,
    B12

    Cell A2 contains the number,
    50