Pivot Table problem, blank fields aren't being added

  1. #1
    Ant
    Guest

    Pivot Table problem, blank fields aren't being added

    Hi,

    I have a Pivot table pulling data from another workbook.
    It's displaying a count for given values in 2 columns.
    It's fine for most of the data, but when one of the columns is blank, it
    shows a count of 0, even though there are items that are blank.
    If I double click on the field, it shows me a sheet that contains the data
    that isn't being counted. Is this a bug in the Pivottable? Is there a way
    around it?

    Thanks.
    Ant

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table problem, blank fields aren't being added

    A pivot table can't count blanks. You could type a space character in
    those cells, or use a formula: =""

    Then, they'll be counted.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Ant
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table problem, blank fields aren't being added

    Thanks for your reply. But then why is there a category for blanks
    automatically added to the pivot table and when I click on show data, it
    shows the rows that are blank?

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table problem, blank fields aren't being added

    The record has other fields with data, so when you show the detail, it
    can show the complete record.

    If there's no Customer name, it will show (blank) as the Customer item.
    But, if you add Customer to the data area, as Count of Customer, it
    can't count anything for those blank cells. You could add a different
    field, that has data in every row, to the data area, and use it to get
    the count.