cell format

  1. #1
    Terry
    Guest

    cell format

    I set up cell format as text before I type any data.

    I have a samples with ID 9920-2, 9920-10, 9920-15, 9920-18,...
    However if I push "Enter" after typing ID, Excel change 9920-2 and 9920-10
    to Feb-20 and Oct-20 without even ask do I wnat to change format. ID after
    9920-15 remain the same.

    Can anyone tell me how to make Excel stop changing my format, and just keep
    the format I have set up.

  2. #2
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: cell format

    Enter with leading apostrophe which won't show.
    Bob Umlas
    Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: cell format

    I would guess that you didn't pre-format *enough* cells to Text.

    Maybe you formatted 25 cells, and you're now entering your ID's in the 26th
    and 27th cells.

    XL *will retain* your ID's as entered, as long as the cell is pre-formatted
    to Text.

    RD

  4. #4
    Terry
    Guest

    Re: cell format

    When I set up format I select "whole" column, unless that is wrong way, I
    think I got all of them.

    Excel automatically my format occur at that column.

  5. #5
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: cell format

    I can't duplicate your problem.

    Click in one of the cells that you say returns a date.
    Then,
    <Format> <Cells> <Number> tab,
    And what do you see selected in the "Category" window?

    RD