Creating folders and subfolders from excel file list

  1. #1
    afaubert
    Guest

    Creating folders and subfolders from excel file list

    I need to create folders with subfolders from a listing that I have in an
    excel document. Is there a macro that will do that for me instead of having
    to go to the browser and use "Folder>New>Name" There are over a thousand
    subfolders that I need to create and don't want to do it manually.

    Thanks in advance to the gurus.

    Allie :-)

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Creating folders and subfolders from excel file list

    On Error Resume Next
    For i = 1 To Cells(Rows.Count,"A").End(xlUp).Row
    MkDir Cells(i,"A").Value
    Next i

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: Creating folders and subfolders from excel file list

    > I need to create folders with subfolders from a listing that I have in
    > an excel document. Is there a macro that will do that for me instead
    > of having to go to the browser and use "Folder>New>Name" There are
    > over a thousand subfolders that I need to create and don't want to do
    > it manually.

    I've had similar tasks to do, but not this exactly. I didn't use a macro,
    though. Instead, I made a DOS-style batch file using an extra column.

    For example, suppose column A holds sub-folders you want to create inside
    folder c:\whatever\

    In B1, put
    ="MKDIR " & A1
    and copy down for as many rows as you need.

    Select column B and
    Edit > Copy

    Paste into a new Notepad window, and "save as" inside the folder
    c:\whatever\ with name
    "temp.bat"
    (include the quotes).

    Then open folder c:\whatever\ and double-click on temp.bat.

    Adapt or expand the example to suit your needs.

    For more on the command language, a good reference is
    http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/msdos7/

  4. #4
    afaubert
    Guest

    Re: Creating folders and subfolders from excel file list

    BEAUTIFUL!!!! Thanks, works like a charm!

  5. #5
    afaubert
    Guest

    Re: Creating folders and subfolders from excel file list

    I will try and embed this in my macro and see if it works! Thanks Bob!!!
    :-)