Excel lost association with .xls files. Must use Excel open comm

  1. #1
    Neil
    Guest

    Excel lost association with .xls files. Must use Excel open comm

    Lately I found that I can't double click on an .xls file to launch Excel and
    open the file. I have to launch Excel then from within Excel open the .xls
    file. I went into file types to try and re-establish the association with
    Excel and .xls files without success... Any suggestions?

    [email protected]

  2. #2

    Re: Excel lost association with .xls files. Must use Excel open comm

    Sometimes one of these works:

    Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

    --- or ---

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excel lost association with .xls files. Must use Excel open comm

    Neil

    Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
    Exit Excel and try again.

    If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

    Close Excel first and
    On the Windows Taskbar

    1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
    See the space between exe and /regserver

    You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
    In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

    One more thing to try if any of the above brings no joy.........

    Go to Start>Settings>Folder>Options>File Types. Scroll down to MS Excel
    Worksheet. Then if running Win98 OS Edit> select "Open" and Edit.

    If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced">Open>Edit.

    In Command line the path should be similar to this....

    "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e (delete the <sp>/e if
    you want Book1 to open.

    You must have the double quotes.

    Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

    Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Neil
    Guest

    Re: Excel lost association with .xls files. Must use Excel open c

    Gord, thanks for the suggestions.... Do you have any others?

    Word and PowerPoint work as they should....

    Neil