data sort incorrectly

  1. #1
    Brainsurgery is easy when you know how.
    Guest

    data sort incorrectly

    Three rows of data are being put incorrectly at the end of the second column
    sorted. I have a total of 8 columns and am sorting by 2. Since the first
    column is sorted correctly, I suspect the problem is with the second column.
    Everything is formatted as text, since the data contains numbers and text. I
    have checked all formatting, spacing, etc.

    Any ideas? Thanks very much.

  2. #2

    Re: data sort incorrectly

    If you entered the numbers first, then changed the formatting to text, then the
    value is still a number.

    Since you formatted the cells as Text, try selecting each of the 3 cells. Hit
    F2, then enter. Excel will see that you changed the value to Text.

    Then try your sort.