Excel F2 & MS Media Keyboard

  1. #1
    SharronA
    Guest

    Excel F2 & MS Media Keyboard

    How can I regain use of Excel's F2 function (which opens a cell for editing
    directly in the cell) on my new MS Natural Media Keyboard? The new keyboard
    assigns the "undo" function to the F2 key, and if I turn off the new
    functions (F-LOCK), the F2 key seems "dead" to Excel.

    The keyboard offers some limited ability to customize some keys, and I
    wouldn't mind putting the "edit in cell" function on another key, but I can't
    seem to find out how to do that. I've checked the online support, Knowledge
    Base, and built-in help menus, all to no avail.

    Going to the mouse to open the cell, then back to the keyboard to edit,
    every time I want to change something in a cell, is a horrendous waste of
    time and energy! There must be a work-around. TIA for any help.
    --
    SharronA

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Excel F2 & MS Media Keyboard

    Hi SharronA

    The F2 is working for me if I turn it of.
    Maybe this will help
    http://www.*****-blog.com/archives/2...27/f-lock-key/

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excel F2 & MS Media Keyboard

    Sharron

    In order to edit directly in cell you must have Tools>Options>Edit "edit
    directly in cell" enabled(checked).

    If not, F2 will edit in the formula bar, which you may not be noticing.

    Jason Tsang has a couple of .REG files that will allow you to reverse the
    default behaviour of the F Lock key or disable it.

    One will change the default to "Off".
    http://mvps.org/jtsang/flock.html

    The other will eliminate the F Lock feature totally. This one I use!!
    http://mvps.org/jtsang/flock-e.html

    Both are Zips have an Undo.REG and a Readme.txt file with them.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Deb in KC