What is formula to repeat row at top when column headings are numb

  1. #1
    kcasillas
    Guest

    What is formula to repeat row at top when column headings are numb

    I have always been able to go to Page Set-Up and Sheet and enter in "$1:$1"
    in the Rows to repeat at top section. However, a person in my office has
    trouble with this formula on most of her Excel spreadsheets. I was messing
    around with it to try and figure out why it was giving her an error message
    that reads "The formula you typed contains an error." The only reason I could
    see why it wasn't working is because the column headins are numbered instead
    of lettered. Why would this be?

  2. #2

    Re: What is formula to repeat row at top when column headings are numb

    Instead of typing, just point at a cell in that row.

    Excel will translate the formula for you.

    How would it know that $1:$1 is row 1--not column 1?

    ps when I tried this, excel plopped in R1