Can you sort with check boxes?

  1. #1

    Can you sort with check boxes?

    Hi all,
    I am inserting employee time into Excel, and I would like to be able to sort
    the columns by "Recorded", "Date", "Customer", or by "Employee". For the
    Recorded column I am using a "Forms check box". The problem is can't seem to
    get the check boxes to sort with its corresponding rows.

    Here is my layout

    Recorded Date Customer Employee Description
    (Check box) 10-1-05 John Doe Tom Comments
    (Check box) 10-1-05 John Doe Harry Comments
    (Check box) 10-2-05 Jane Doe Dave Comments
    (Check box) 10-3-05 John Doe#2 Jim Comments
    (Check box) 10-4-05 John Doe#2 Jim Comments
    (Check box) 10-6-05 John Doe Tom Comments

    Can someone help me out with this?

    Thanks
    Quinton

  2. #2

    Re: Can you sort with check boxes?

    If you're very careful when you put the checkboxes in the cells (make them fit
    totally within the row--no overlapping of multiple rows), they should sort ok.

    And make sure you haven't changed this setting:
    rightclick on each checkbox
    format control|properties tab|make sure "move but don't size with cells" is
    checked.

    (It was the default in my tests.)

  3. #3

    Re: Can you sort with check boxes?

    Hi Dave, Thanks for the help. I got it to work but I had to increase the
    height of the cell in order to get it to work. I would like to have the
    standard row height. Did you get it to work with standard row height?

    Thanks
    Quinton

  4. #4

    Re: Can you sort with check boxes?

    If I made the checkbox small enough!

    You may want to take a different approach.

    If you delete all the checkboxes, maybe you could just format the cell nicely.

    Select the range
    Format|cells|number tab|custom category
    In the "type:" box, put this:
    alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

    But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
    keypad.

    It should look something like this when you're done.
    ü;ü;ü;ü
    (umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

    And format that range of cells as Wingdings.

    Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
    mark.

    Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

    If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:

    =if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")

    And since this is just data, it'll sort (well, if you include that column in the
    range).

  5. #5
    United Kingdom
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Talking Re: Can you sort with check boxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Peterson View Post
[...]

    Hi Dave,

    Just had to register to say thank you!
    This is brilliant and exactly what I was looking for!

    Tom

  6. #6
    Dallas, TX
    MS-Off Ver

    Question Re: Can you sort with check boxes?

    I also used the control box but couldn't sort by dates in another column and this solution worked great. However, I also want to apply conditional formatting to rows that have a checkmark and sum another column based on whether a checkmark is yes.
    Can you help me do this?

  7. #7
    Administrator FDibbins's Avatar
    Duncansville, PA USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)
    Posts
    52,929

    Re: Can you sort with check boxes?

    Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyG View Post
    I also used the control box but couldn't sort by dates in another column and this solution worked great. However, I also want to apply conditional formatting to rows that have a checkmark and sum another column based on whether a checkmark is yes.
    Can you help me do this?
    Administrative Note:

    We are happy to help, however whilst you feel your request is similar to this thread, experience has shown that things soon get confusing when answers refer to particular cells/ranges/sheets which are unique to your post and not relevant to the original.

    Please see Forum Rule #4 about hijacking and start a new thread for your query.

    If you are not familiar with how to start a new thread see the FAQ: How to start a new thread
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

    Regards
    Ford