Navigating a large database?

  1. #1
    Arsenio Oloroso
    Guest

    Navigating a large database?

    I've imported a huge data base into Excel that doesn't have field (column)
    headings. The file layout indicates that the info I want is in field 117.
    Can anyone suggest a way for me to locate this field quickly. I would
    prefer not to have to do it by tapping the right arrow and counting off the
    numbers until I get there.

    Thanks for any advice.

  2. #2
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: Navigating a large database?

    Hit F5. In the Reference field type DM1. Click Ok. That's column 117.

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Navigating a large database?

    Hi!

    You could change the column headings from alpha to numeric:

    Tools>Options>General tab>R1C1 reference style

    That way you don't have to try to figure out that column DM = 117.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Navigating a large database?

    When I'm too lazy to toggle R1C1 reference style, I insert a temporary row and
    put this in A1:

    =column()

    and drag across as far as I need.