How to import plain text into workable tables/cells?

  1. #1
    Xane
    Guest

    How to import plain text into workable tables/cells?

    I have several rather extensive text files (extracted from an antiquated
    local database) that I wish to import into either Access or Excel as
    functional databases.

    So far I've had the best results importing into Excel, as this at least
    manages to divide the info into several fields somewhat, although still not
    nearly as well as I'd like.
    Several elements get crammed together in one cell when I choose to import
    seperately.

    In Access, the results are even worse and I can't even manage to make decent
    cells out of the info. Most of the time the info gets imported into one
    column, or into a zillion ones if I choose space as a seperator symbol, which
    I truly don't want of course.

    I've tried tinkering about with both applications a bit, but can't seem to
    generate moderately desireable results.
    I'm gonna try now to improve the textual layout of the source text in Word,
    see if that can improve the import performance slightly, but apart from that
    I wonder what I can do to import the text into either Excel or Access into
    proper, functional cells.

    Please give me some feedback. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: How to import plain text into workable tables/cells?

    The old database would presumably have had some form of separator between
    the text fields. Can you identify that as you separator? If it is a case of
    having eg 2 spaces as the separator, perhaps you could use find & replace in
    Word to change these to eg commas.

    --
    Ian
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    exceluserforeman
    Guest

    RE: How to import plain text into workable tables/cells?

    As Ian said, separators are the ones to look for. You may have to inclue the
    Consecutine sparators ie you may have commas and tabs or spaces and
    semi-colons.

    Expriment with it.

    You could try my viewer. It will open just about any type of non-application
    file (not access or excel

    FileLocationDatabase.exe

    It is written in vb6 so it is an executable file. It is zipped at

    http://au.geocities.com/windsofmark

    -- Mark