Can Excel evaluate a series of numbers

  1. #1
    Chad Sellers
    Guest

    Can Excel evaluate a series of numbers

    I made an excel file to generate results from one number as the input a
    couple of other fixed numbers to reference against and a couple of algebra
    and quadratic equations to generate the desired answers. Can I make a list
    of numbers in my excel file and have excel run through the equations already
    set up and generate a list of results? If not, how do I make a file that
    will step through a list of numbers, run excel on each and save the results
    for each? Thank you, Chad Sellers

  2. #2
    Art
    Guest

    RE: Can Excel evaluate a series of numbers

    Can you just copy your formula? For example, let's suppose that the "one
    number" is in cell C1. Suppose the other numbers are in A1 - A4. Finally
    assume that your formula is in D1-G1.

    Now, run down column C with the rest of the numbers. Then copy the formula
    in D1-G1 down, next to the values in C. You'll need absolute references for
    the values in A1-A4.

    Art

  3. #3
    Chad Sellers
    Guest

    RE: Can Excel evaluate a series of numbers

    It would be difficult to try this. I have the input number at A2. Two
    numbers at A5 and A^ are used to get an area and perimeter in A7 and A8. I
    multiply these by the input in A2 and save at G7 and G8. Then the quadratic
    result is placed at G12 and G13. These are rounded so the results I want are
    at A12 and A13 with an error also wanted calculated and placed at A15 and
    E15. What I would like to do is run a list of numbers placed at B19-48 as
    if they resided at A2 and save the results from A12, A13, A15 and E15 to C-F
    : 19-48 respectively..

  4. #4
    Art
    Guest

    RE: Can Excel evaluate a series of numbers

    I think you've got 2 options. If there aren't other things in your
    spreadsheet, you could redo the formula as I outlined. I'm guessing,
    however, from the scattered nature of the cells that you probably do have
    other information that might get in the way.

    The first option would be to take the intermediate calculations to another
    tab and then bring the answers back to the original tab. You'd have to
    change some of the references to work with columns and such. So probably
    your best bet would be to redo the original calculation on the other tab, and
    then copy it down.

    The other option would be to write some VBA code. This probably isn't too
    hard unless you've never done it before. In this way you'd move the
    intermediate results off the spreadsheet, and just loop through the rows in
    your code.

    I won't be available too much longer this evening so if either option sounds
    doable I'm sorry but I won't be able to help. If you don't have an immediate
    deadline, I could help sometime tomorrow or tomorrow evening. Alternatively
    someone else may jump in tonight and be able to help.

    Lots of luck - I hope you can get this to work.

    Art

  5. #5
    Art
    Guest

    RE: Can Excel evaluate a series of numbers

    Oh -- one more thing. There is the scenario manager. I've rarely used it,
    but perhaps that could help. I don't think you'll get it to list your
    results down the rows of C-F, but it may be better than nothing.

    Art

  6. #6
    Chad Sellers
    Guest

    RE: Can Excel evaluate a series of numbers

    You are right in your assumptions, this is the 2nd time I've used excel.
    When I try to copy in excel it changes the references relative to where it is
    copied - I don't know how to make it keep absolutes. So I copied the
    results to a text editor as I referenced each input manually. Then copied
    all the results from the text file back to excel. This worked for the
    project tonight. I really appreciate your input. Sounds like a little VBA
    code would do this next time. Thanks again Art.

  7. #7
    Art
    Guest

    RE: Can Excel evaluate a series of numbers

    Chad,

    It sounds like you're doing very well for a 2nd time user. Copying as you
    did works fine. You don't actually need the text editor though. You can
    edit the formula copy it, "press enter", and then move to where you want to
    paste it and then paste it.

    To make references absolute, you need to put a $ in front of the row and/or
    the column. For example if you're referencing G7 -- you can put $G$7. This
    wil make it stay $G$7 even when you're copying it. You can use $A1 if you
    want to keep a reference to column A, but to change as you copy to various
    rows.

    Art