Aligning Decimal Points with non-numeric data

  1. #1
    notloiseweiss
    Guest

    Aligning Decimal Points with non-numeric data

    I am creating a table and would like to align my data by the decimal point.
    I understand that the accounting format will do this, however my data
    sometimes includes symbols. For example

    1.23
    7.94
    8.45**
    (3.12)
    5.88

    The accounting format seems to deal well with the (3.12), but I can't get
    the decimal places to align for the 8.45**. Any advice??? Also the
    accounting format won't allow me to indent. Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Forum Guru
    North America
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    Posts
    15,803
    This format code (Format->Cells->Number tab->Custom) seems to work for me.
    0.00_*_*_);(0.00)_*_*;0.00_*_*_);@_)
    Make sure the alignment is set to right.

  3. #3
    notloiseweiss
    Guest

    Re: Aligning Decimal Points with non-numeric data

    Thanks for the idea MrShorty.
    But, your solution doesn't seem to work for the 7.94** ???

    Here's my actual data:

    7.94**
    (139.63)
    10.47
    18.18
    (7.87)

  4. #4
    Forum Guru
    North America
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    Posts
    15,803
    In what way didn't it work? It works for me, including the 7.94**. Did you set the horizontal alignment to "right?" General alignment puts text values (like 7.94**) left justified with numbers right justified. You want everything (text or number) right justified.