how to split data into columns and arrange the resulting data

  1. #1
    jack
    Guest

    how to split data into columns and arrange the resulting data

    I have data in cells A2, A3 and A4 as below:
    1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8
    1, 2, 3, 4
    2, 3, 4

    I want to split into columns (which I did using Data > Text to Columns
    option).

    But I also want the data to "automatically" fall under appropriate heading
    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) which are in respecive cells A1:H1.

    Thank you in advance

  2. #2

    Re: how to split data into columns and arrange the resulting data

    How about an alternative:

    With your data in A2:Axx, put this formula in B2:
    =","&SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","")&","

    Then B2 will look like:
    ,1,2,4,5,7,8,

    Then put this in C2 and drag across as far as you need.
    =IF(COUNTIF($B2,"*,"&COLUMN()-2&",*")>0,COLUMN()-2,"")

    Select B2 through L2 (as far right as you went).
    Drag down.

    If you want values, select that range
    Edit|copy
    edit|paste special|values