Date Format Problems??

  1. #1
    nastech
    Guest

    Date Format Problems??

    Hi, I am a bit novice at some of this; any suggestions will help, (can
    find/ using: format cells, number/custom.. cond. format..)

    Date example that I was/ am using: Text: 051113, and "Right Justify" to
    see just last 2 digits: 13 (for day)
    I changed system date format in Control Panel, Regions, to be: yy-mm-dd
    (did not really want dashes, trying for database type sorting of dates..?)
    Don't know if I should pick a different format to do same thing.. to see:
    yymmdd.

    - Is there a work-around for seeing "text"? / last two characters of DATE?
    When I format as a date, & narrow the column, & Right Justify (for space &
    to see just the last 2 numbers), i get: ##
    Trying to get ## to go away, and still be a date.

    2nd problem: need Function for date older than 1 "Business" day. (for
    Cond. Formatting), (note: for weekends-sat / sun, Friday is still today
    is there a Date type Function to use?, Thanks, need something like:

    IF( last "Business" DATE is one day old),true,false)

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Date Format Problems??

    Looking at your first problem I assume that 051113 means:
    day 13
    month 11
    year 2005
    and that all you text/dates are 6 characters. In a separate cell enter:

    =right(A1,2) if the text/date in in cell A1. You can justify it anyway you
    like.
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    nastech
    Guest

    RE: Date Format Problems??

    Thankyou.. will see if get some response on 2nd problem too, so won't click
    yes.. but looks like that might do what I need for 1st, thanks

  4. #4
    nastech
    Guest

    RE: Date Format Problems??

    yes yymmdd, actually looks like not enough room to do, no space for more
    columns, don't know if have suggestion for same cell.

  5. #5
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Date Format Problems??

    I have only one other suggestion, but its kind of cheesy. If you have a
    number in a cell, you can not format the individual digits with thier own
    fonts. You can format the individual characters in text string separately.

    You have to do this in the formula bar:

    Select the cell with 051113 in it. In the formula bar, highlight 0511 and
    pull-down:

    Format > Cells... > Font and set the color to the same as the background
    color. This will make the 0511 seem to disappear, leaving only the 13.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  6. #6
    nastech
    Guest

    RE: Date Format Problems??

    Would try anything that works, thanks for the idea. Think when I compress
    the size / width of column, that will preclude that working..

    Trying to figure out the date thing still, got this far. May have to repost
    it if no answer here. Guesse I should only post 1 question at a time.

    How do you backward / forward find date serial for 1900 system, to figure
    equations (maybe just plug into a cell, see what it says: struggling with
    that too.

    Equation Looking for: How do I determine if date in a cell is 1 day old.

    Something like: ?
    =IF(DATE(DAY(A1)+1<DATE(TODAY(A1)),true,false) guessing something like this

    XXXXXXXXXX