Link problems!

  1. #1

    Angry Link problems!

    First post so go easy.

    I have created template folder containing a source file which links to various destination workbooks saved in directories within the template folder.

    Basically idea is that user would copy & rename template folder, then enter common data into source file with all destination workbooks updating accordingly.

    This works fine with template setup, however once copied and renamed links are broken and all destination workbooks need to be redirected to new source file.

    It is my understanding that links are relative, therefore destination files are able to locate source files provided directory structure remains intact regardless of changes to absolute location.

    Any ideas? I am probably missing something obvious.

  2. #2
    exceluserforeman
    Guest

    RE: Link problems!

    If the destination workbooks are linked to FredsFiles.xls and you make a copy
    of fredsfiles then rename it to MarksFilesxls, the destination workbooks can
    still only see FredsFiles.xls
    You need to change the links.
    you could do a reverse action Via a Setup workbook.

    The Setup.xls creates the copy workbook and directs the input data TO the
    destination files rather than the destination files having the links.

    The more new files you create, the more links you will need.

    If you create more than one source book, the destination files will only
    update to one source in whichever has the latest data unless you add links to
    include othe sources.

    Alternatively you could use a userform to enter the data directly into the
    destination files without links. The Output.xls would have a list of source
    files from whence the data came.

    The destination files would have no links.

    http://www.geocities.com/excelmarksway