Excel 2003 - Linking Formulas, Worksheet to Worksheet

  1. #1
    windsong
    Guest

    Excel 2003 - Linking Formulas, Worksheet to Worksheet

    I need to set up a workbook with one worksheet per month for twelve months.
    There will be formulas in each worksheets, two of which need to carry forward
    totals from the previous month's worksheet. How do I link worksheets in this
    way? How do I replicate that resulting formula on ALL the worksheets without
    entering the formula in every single worksheet?

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 - Linking Formulas, Worksheet to Worksheet

    Let's say it's February and you need to link to the January totals.
    Assume also that the tabs in your workbook are called Jan Feb Mar etc.
    Click on the Feb tab, and land the cell pointer on the cell that hold
    the January data. Start a formula by pressing the = sign, then click
    on the Jan tab and click the cell with the carryforward total. Press
    Enter, and the Feb tab will appear again, and reflect the January
    number.

    Since tab names change with month names, replicating the resultant
    formulas could be accomplished with a macro. But since the entire
    operation takes about 3 seconds the amount of time spent automating it
    wouldn't generate a time savings.

  3. #3
    windsong
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 - Linking Formulas, Worksheet to Worksheet

    I know how to do what you state below. I didn't realize that this would
    replicate the same formula to the OTHER worksheets, though. i.e. pick up
    total from Jan for Feb worksheet, pick up Feb total for Mar worksheet, and so
    on.

    thanks.

  4. #4
    windsong
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 - Linking Formulas, Worksheet to Worksheet

    Okay, I did what you said and the formula worked when I ref the Jan cell in
    the Feb worksheet. However, when I went to copy the Feb worksheet to use it
    as the Mar worksheet, the formula did not change itself to read the same cell
    in the Feb worksheet (for entry on the Mar worksheet). I think I am still
    doing something wrong.

  5. #5
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Excel 2003 - Linking Formulas, Worksheet to Worksheet

    Tab references don't shift in the manner you're expecting,
    unfortunately. This would still be a manual change from month to
    month. However, it doesn't take a lot of time, as you found out, and
    you could set up all 12 months at one sitting- then copy the file to be
    used next year and subsequent years, and the work would be done once
    and for all.