R1C1 reference style

  1. #1
    Peg P
    Guest

    R1C1 reference style

    I know how to get rid of it now - maybe not permanently, it seems to come
    back as a default at times. But does anyone know what it's actaully used for?

  2. #2

    Re: R1C1 reference style

    Tools|options|General Tab|check/uncheck R1C1 Reference style.

    Believe it or not, some people like working this way! (It is a nice way to
    compare formulas that should be the same, though.)

    And excel picks it up from the first workbook you opened that session. You may
    just be unlucky enough to open a workbook that was saved (by someone else???) in
    R1C1 reference style.

  3. #3
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: R1C1 reference style

    Well, for some kinds of applications it is just easier to understand.
    If you have a financial projection, one row per month, 200 columns wide, and
    the first cell of each row, the start value, is the end value of the month
    above, you get a formula like
    =EndValueMonth R[-1] (Endvalue of the row above)
    Which is, I think, easier to understand than
    =EndValueMonth 14:14 (different in each row)

    I must admit though that, since this format (which used to be my favorite!)
    is so rarely used, I tend to give up.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten