split column into 4 columns

  1. #1
    Jack
    Guest

    split column into 4 columns

    I need some assitance making a huge column into 4 columns. Here is the
    scenerio:
    Col A has any given rows of values / text. and I need to split into 4
    columns But this is where it gets tricky.
    a1 =a
    a2=b
    a3=c
    a4=d
    a5=e
    a6=f
    a7=g
    etc...
    I need b1=a, c1=b, d1=c, e1=d
    b2=e, c2=f, d2=g, etc..
    What is the best way to do this?

  2. #2

    Re: split column into 4 columns

    Put this in B1:
    =OFFSET($A$1,4*(ROW()-1)+COLUMN()-2,0)
    drag across to fill B1:e1

    and drag down until you run out of data.

  3. #3
    Jack
    Guest

    Re: split column into 4 columns

    Dave,
    One Word ---> PERFECT!
    Thank you!
    One additional question? How would I incorporate an if statement so that the
    '0's dont show up if there isnt data?

  4. #4
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: split column into 4 columns

    How about using a custom format like

    General;-General;

    otherwise

    =IF(OFFSET($A$1,4*(ROW()-1)+COLUMN()-2,0)="","",OFFSET($A$1,4*(ROW()-1)+COLU
    MN()-2,0))

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...