Taskbar group buttons unchecked and Excel

  1. #1
    Tisha
    Guest

    Taskbar group buttons unchecked and Excel

    When I open several files at one time in Excel, the taskbar only shows one
    file open, even though I have the taskbar group box unchecked. In order to
    show each file I have to open each file individually. How can I eliminate
    multiple steps to show each Excel file in the taskbar?

  2. #2

    Re: Taskbar group buttons unchecked and Excel

    In xl2k (and higher), you can use:

    tools|options|view tab|check windows in taskbar.

  3. #3
    Tisha
    Guest

    Re: Taskbar group buttons unchecked and Excel

    If in Excel, I go to file|open|and ctrl or shift several files, only one file
    shows in the taskbar, even if I check the windows in taskbar. Any other
    suggestions?

  4. #4

    Re: Taskbar group buttons unchecked and Excel

    I'd double check the number of workbooks/windows that are open.

    Look under Window in the worksheet menu bar. If you only see one name at the
    bottom of that dropdown, then you only have one workbook open.

    If you see multiple names at the bottom, double check that setting
    (tools|options|view tab). If you're using xl2k and shared workbooks, it may be
    getting toggled back without your knowledge/permission. This was fixed in
    xl2002.

    What version of excel are you using?

  5. #5
    Tisha
    Guest

    Re: Taskbar group buttons unchecked and Excel

    I am using Windows XP and Excel 2003.

    I have rechecked the settings in options and the verified that the taskbar
    isn't grouping them. I also have checked that multiple files are open, and in
    fact the only way I can get into the files is by the windows dropdown. If I
    open each file individually instead of openning them all at once, then they
    all show up on the task bar.

  6. #6

    Re: Taskbar group buttons unchecked and Excel

    First, you can also use ctrl-tab and ctrl-shift-tab to cycle between open
    workbooks.

    But I'm confused.

    You've checked tools|options|view tab|windows in taskbar.

    And you've changed the taskbar setting itself (I read your first post like you
    had).
    rightclick on Windows start button|properties|taskbar tab

    Uncheck Group similar taskbar buttons.

    (if you've done all this, then I don't have another guess. I use xl2003 and
    winXP home and it works fine for me.)