Fixed Decimal Question

  1. #1
    Carla
    Guest

    Fixed Decimal Question

    Maybe this is how it's supposed to work, but my client says it's not. She has
    fixed decimal set under tools, options with 2 decimal places. However she
    said in the past she could type 25. and it would show up as 25.00 and if she
    typed 25 it would show up as .25 but now either way she types it the result
    is .25 and she wants it to be the way it used to be. So my question is what
    is the best way to do this and how is it supposed to work?

    Thanks,
    Carla

  2. #2

    Re: Fixed Decimal Question

    MS changed this behavior in xl2003 (I think).

    Tell her to type 25.0 to get the whole number.

    I use xl2003 SP2
    and I can type 25. and the value in the cell is 25.
    (I'm not sure if the behavior changed back with one of the service packs.)

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Fixed Decimal Question

    Carla,

    Methinks your client has poor memory. What you see is what is intended.

    You probably need to format the cell as Number, with 2 dec places,
    Format>Cells>Number.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Fixed Decimal Question

    Well, in some brief experimentation on XL2002, the only way I was able to
    enter 25. and have it converted to a value of .25 was if the range were
    formatted as %.

    Using straight Fixed Decimals & 2 places, 25. was accepted as 25.00. So
    long as she appends the period to the digits she enters, it would APPEAR that
    Excel treats the entry as integers, not as decimals.

    In other words, I'm skeptical about your client's claim

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Fixed Decimal Question

    Duke, if her client is using 2003 it works that way, in 2003 you need to
    enter 25.0 to get 25

    Peo

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Fixed Decimal Question

  7. #7

    Re: Fixed Decimal Question

    I could enter 25. (with the dot) and get 25, also.

    Was this changed in SP2 of xl2003?

    (I remember having to type 25.0 in either xl2003 or xl2003 SP1--am I remembering
    incorrectly??)

  8. #8
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Fixed Decimal Question

    Duke

    Tools>Options>Edit. Check "Fixed Decimals" and set for 2.

    Enter 25 and you will get .25

    Enter 25. and you will get 25

    XL 97, 2002 and 2003

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP