Pivot Table Linking

  1. #1

    Question Pivot Table Linking

    Hi
    I am hoping someone can help me with this problem.
    I am quite new to using excel and tend to learn from working through things on my own and using tips on site like this to try and point me in the right direction.
    I have managed to create some pivot tables and several rows below this I have a table feeding from this information which ultimately feeds through to a summary page. My problem is that when the pivot table increases or decrease in rows numbers (it won't ever increase in column numbers) the table below does not recognise this.
    I have not fixed the formula in the lower tables,
    Is there any way I can create this link to avoid the need to manually update the formula in the lower table.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can all give.
    WeeClaire

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table Linking

    Hi Claire

    Instead of using references to cells in the table, where the table keeps
    changing in size and giving you problems, try using the GETPIVOTDATA
    function instead. This directly references the Pivot table itself for Row
    and Column position, and should avoid the problem you are experiencing.

    Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site for more help on this

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  3. #3
    Thanks Roger

    I've given this a go however still having a few problems, upon typing in the formula I am getting N/A.

    As an example the pivot table I'm testing on is held in cells S4 to Y45.
    It is the sum of adj princ which is returned in the main body, the column headers are BNDT, BOXT, CDST, DEPP, (blank), grand total. The rows can change but there are some standard rows for example UK GOVERNMENT GILTS, this is one of the rows I am trying to extract data from.

    The formula I have typed is:
    =GETPIVOTDATA($s$4,"UK GOVERNMENT GILTS ADJ PRINC")

    I am using excel 2000.

    Regards
    WeeClaire

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table Linking

    Hi Claire

    I wonder whether it is getting confused because of the spaces in Uk
    Government Gilts.

    Try
    =GETPIVOTDATA($s$4,"UK GOVERNMENT GILTS" &" " & "ADJ PRINC ")
    If that doesn't work, you can email me a copy of the file direct if you like
    and I will take a look. Remove NOSPAM from my email address to send direct.

    Regards

    Roger Govier