Locating saved Excel file

  1. #1

    Unhappy Locating saved Excel file

    I opened an Excel file which was attached to a hotmail message. I made some changes to the file and clicked on the save icon as I went along. BUT I FORGOT to "save as" and give it a new name and save it into an existing directory....So where on my computer is the file in which I periodically saved my additions/revisions? Using the search function didn't locate it.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor keithl816's Avatar
    Georgia
    MS-Off Ver
    Have you checked the file that was attached to the e-mail?

  3. #3

    Re: Locating saved Excel file

    Untested....

    I'm guessing that it's in the temporary internet files folder(s).

    If you open windows explorer
    rightclick on your C: drive icon
    select properties
    then click the Disk clean up button on the General tab
    You'll see the "disk cleanup" tab.
    select Temporary internet files
    and then click the view files button.

    Look for files with .xls extensions with a modified date that matches when you
    changed it.

    Then open it and save it to its nice location.

    =====
    I didn't try this either.

    Send a message to your hotmail account.
    Include an excel attachment (don't use the same name -- book1.xls is fine).

    Then off to Hotmail and read that message and open the attachment.

    Put this in any cell in that workbook:
    =cell("filename",a1)

    You'll be able to pick out the location where this file is stored and it may
    help you find the real one.