payment calculation

  1. #1
    Guest

    payment calculation

    Hi all, I am noticing a significant difference between how Excel calculates
    a payment and how regular financial software calculates it. Take an
    example:-

    Term: 60 months
    Amount: $25,266
    Rate: 6.29% pa

    Payment Function: PMT(6.29/360, 60*30, -25266) returns $441.

    My financial software gives me $491. That is $50 difference! Why? The
    software I am using is Auto loan calculation software and I know it is
    right, because it is used by banks.

    TIA!

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: payment calculation

    =PMT(6.29%/12, 60, -25266)
    returns the correct answer
    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: payment calculation

    Paying per day is not the same as paying per month

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: payment calculation

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:06:02 -0600, <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi all, I am noticing a significant difference between how Excel calculates
    >a payment and how regular financial software calculates it. Take an
    >example:-
    >
    >Term: 60 months
    >Amount: $25,266
    >Rate: 6.29% pa
    >
    >Payment Function: PMT(6.29/360, 60*30, -25266) returns $441.
    >
    >My financial software gives me $491. That is $50 difference! Why?

    GIGO

    >The software I am using is Auto loan calculation software and I know it is
    >right, because it is used by banks.
    >
    >TIA!

    Given the correct inputs, Excel gives me $491.88.

    You've applied incorrectly multipliers/divisors for the rate and the number of
    periods.

    If your payments are monthly, you should be dividing the annual rate by 12
    (since there are 12 months in a year) and I don't know why you are multiplying
    the number of months by 30.

    So your formula should be: =PMT(6.29/1200, 60, -25266)

    or =PMT(6.29%/12,60, -25266)

    --ron