Adding Column of mixed data omitting the dates

  1. #1
    lpullen
    Guest

    Adding Column of mixed data omitting the dates

    Hello all,

    We have an Excel sheet with a column that contains both dates and
    numbers.

    We need to sum the numbers, but omit the dates. The data is in random
    sequence.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2

    Re: Adding Column of mixed data omitting the dates

    One way would be to insert a column and put an indicator in that column.

    Then you could use something like:
    =sumif(b1:b10,"x",a1:a10)

    But if you do that work, it might be just simpler to separate your dates from
    the numbers to be summed.

  3. #3
    Andrew Taylor
    Guest

    Re: Adding Column of mixed data omitting the dates

    As you probably realise, the difficulty with this is that dates _are_
    numbers: they just happen to be formatted in a special way. I think
    you can achieve what you want by using the CELL() function, which
    can give you information about the format of a cell. Assuming your
    dates & numbers are in A1:A100, and that column B is free, enter
    the formula =LEFT(CELL("format",A1),1) in B1 and copy it down to all of
    B1:B100. Then the formula =SUMIF(B1:B100,"<>D",A1:A100) gives
    you the sum of the numbers.

    You can hide column B if it spoils the layout.

    hth
    Andrew Taylor