Formulas containing links to other Excel files

  1. #1
    Andrew Mackenzie
    Guest

    Formulas containing links to other Excel files

    I have a spreadsheet that I update monthly. A column of cells contains a
    formula that links to a previous spreadsheet something like this:

    =vlookup(a1,'[OctoberFile.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$K$100,4,false)

    If I put text in cell B1 "OctoberFile" I would like the [OctoberFile.xls]
    part of the formula to change if I change the content of cell B1 to
    NovemberFile so that it links to another file called NovemberFile.xls.

    Not sure if I have explained this very well does does anyone have any ideas
    without using code?

    Thanks,

    Andrew

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Formulas containing links to other Excel files

    You would normally use the INDIRECT function, but it sucks with external
    files, so code is your best bet in this circumstance (I think).

    Anne Troy
    VBA Project Manager
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:%[email protected]...