How can I enter carriage returns into text within a cell in excel

  1. #1
    Lizzy
    Guest

    How can I enter carriage returns into text within a cell in excel

    I am trying to use excel to create a table full of text. I would like to be
    able to format the text within the cell (e.g. entering carriage returns to
    put some text on a separate line). I can't seem to make this work. Any
    suggestions?

  2. #2
    Andrew Taylor
    Guest

    Re: How can I enter carriage returns into text within a cell in excel

    You need to use Alt-Enter to add line breaks within a cell.

  3. #3
    Suresh
    Guest

    RE: How can I enter carriage returns into text within a cell in excel

    Press Alt+Enter within a cell to enter carriage return

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: How can I enter carriage returns into text within a cell in excel

    Hi Lizzy,
    Adding to Andrew's reply.

    Use Alt+Enter
    which inserts a CHAR(10) for a new line, and turns on cell wrap in format,cells,alignment

    within a concatenation
    =A1 & CHAR(10) & B1
    and you must turn on cell wrap yourself in Format, cells, alignment

    within a concatenation in VBA
    newstring = Oldstring & CHR(10) & Morestring

    Failure to turn cell wrap will result in viewing a square printer's bullet, which
    is an indication of a character not in the character set you are using..

    --
    ---
    HTH,